About Dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are a facial aesthetic treatment involving injections of hyaluronic acid or other chemicals into the skin. These treatments are effective in contouring, plumping and revitalising the skin.
Acne Patients and Scarring
Acne patients can suffer from a variety of types of scarring. 5 common types of acne scars are
- Rolling – depression in the skin which look wide in size and shallow in depth.
- Keloid – the scar extends beyond the limits of the original inflammatory papule.
- Ice pick – narrow scars that create pits.
- Hypertrophic – thickened scars raised above the skin surface
- Boxcar – reminiscent of chicken pox scars, often found on the cheeks.
Dermal fillers can be used to treat certain types of acne scars such as rolling scars. It is a safe procedure offering excellent results to fill the depressions associated with acne scars.
For acne scars the dose of filler required varies and is dependent upon the patient’s facial anatomy. For such procedures it is best to see a qualified dermatologist to get the right dosage for your desired results.
The fillers usually give immediate and predictable results. The filler continues to modify the skin, and you may continue to see changes after a few months.
Long Term Benefits
The benefits of fillers for acne scarring include:
- helping to break up the scar tissue
- helping to stimulate collagen production
- diminishing the appearance of scars
Short Term Benefits
The benefits include
- Limited post procedure downtime
- Immediate results
- Results may last from several months to one year for most people
After The Treatment
Post treatment there may be some redness, swelling and bruising at the injection site for a few days. We often advise using a cold compress and oral paracetamol for any pain relief.
It is recommended that you avoid robust exercise and exposure to sun for at least 2 days after the treatment. You should avoid facial massage for 2 weeks after any type of a filer treatment with avoidance of alcohol for 24 hours after the procedure.
Selecting The Right Filler
There is a lot of dermal fillers available and so it is essential to have a consultation before your treatment to determine what filler best suits your needs.